Hi Everyone!

This dress is just another way that you can utilized the Bodice Pattern and another fun and stylish way! I really do feel that this pattern has endless possibilities. I found this knit fabric that Fabricland and knew instantly what I wanted to create with it! The stripe used in this tutorial is about 3/8" wide, you can have fun with different widths. I think this tutorial would look stunning in a wide striped fabric! When sewing this dress I used a serger but you can make this with a regular sewing machine using a stretch stitch (more info here).

Melanie
oxoxox
Supplies:

• 2 Meters of Striped Stretch Fabric Medium Weight (Double Faced Knit or Ponte Works Best)
  • Coordinating Thread
  • Circle Skirt Template
  • Bodice Pattern  (You will only need the Back Piece)
  • 1.5 Meters of 1/4" Elastic
Picture
Start off by matching stripes and pinning so that they won't shift apart.
Picture
You will be using the back bodice pattern piece for both the front and back of this dress.

Place the back bodice piece on a angle on your fabric. You can make the front and back the same angle or flip them like I did.

Pin in place and cut out.
Picture
Placing right sides together, match up the stripes as best you can on both your front and back bodice pieces. Pin and machine baste to secure.
Picture
Since we only used the back pattern piece we will have to modify the front neckline to fit comfortably. You can cut out really any shape you want, I chose a small curve to keep it a higher neckline.
Picture
Right sides together sew your bodice at the side seams and shoulder seams. Remember to use a stretch stitch.
Picture
Cut out four pieces of your 1/4" elastic to match your sides and shoulders as shown.
Picture
Sew these pieces of elastic to your side and shoulder seams. Try not to stretch the elastic as you sew. This helps to stabilize your bodice and keep its shape better especially with the weight of the skirt.
Picture
Matching the notches on your circle skirt to the center front, center back and side seams of your bodice piece, attach your skirt piece to your bodice piece.
Picture
Cut another piece of elastic the same measurement as your waist + 1". Pin this to your dresses waist line and pin in place overlapping the ends. Sew in place.
Picture
Overlock all raw edges: Neckline, armholes and hem.
Picture
Turn under all raw edges 1/4" and sew in place with a straight stitch. You can also zig-zag this if you wish.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:

Picture

Comments

Lelania
01/17/2016 3:09am

I love this dress, I have been looking for a pattern or idea what to make with my fabric from Fabricland, thank you for sharing.

Melanie
01/17/2016 9:18am

You are very welcome! If you make this dress I would love to see pictures!!! Tag me on Facebook or Instagram @thelittleststudio Good luck and thanks for stopping by!

Lelania
01/18/2016 11:42am

Yes, When I make it, I would love to share my photos and opinion with you.

Nohemi
04/05/2016 1:51pm

Good afternoon! Thank you very much for providing these tutorials of great clothing and the respective patterns for free. It is a noble task. God fulfill it. A question: I need to do the translation to the Spanish for greater understanding and not is how to have the material organized with tutorials and patterns to the actual size; because I do not understand that scale. The truth don't have the dollars to purchase patterns and I want to start to work from my home for my family and for my. I would love to do it from your hand. Thank you for your valuable time and attention. Waiting for your prompt response. Best regards. Blessings. Nohemi.

Andrea
04/23/2016 7:20pm

Love this. Thank you for the free patterns. I made the dress yesterday with stripey top and blue skirt and I think it looks great!
The bodice seemed a bit small for me so will go for bigget size next time.
Today I want to make a the circle skirt you shared.
Thanks again and keep sharing your ideas :)

05/07/2016 12:48am

Lovely dress. I hope to create this project soon.

Jenni Abbott
09/28/2016 5:23pm

Hello Melanie
Thanks for a lovely pattern. I have the fabric, cut out the pattern and pieced it together and the sewing of it looks pretty straight forward BUT how do I lay the pattern pieces on my fabric? Trying to figure this out because your pattern states I need 2 meters of fabric for the dress but the circle skirt pattern takes 2 meters?? I am confused and unsure whether I need to purchase additional fabric? Please could you draw me a little diagram for pattern placement . Thank you so much for your kind help. Jenni

11/08/2016 12:38pm

Is it possible to use this pattern and make a dress that's not a stretch fabric? I love the design, but the fabric i have in mind is just a cotton print with absolutely no stretch. Your help is appreciated!

el
01/08/2017 11:02am

Is this pattern for flat chested women? I don't understand how the back pattern is used for the front with no adjustment for the bust. Apart from the lower neckline, I don't see any difference between front and back. How can it be adjusted to accommodate breasts?

Melanie
01/08/2017 11:57am

Hi el! This pattern and tutorial is for stretch fabrics, it usually works really well for most sizes! I recently had a customer make the size 22 and she was very happy with the fit :) but then like most patterns it may need some fitting and adjustments if you're not pleased with how it looks :)

03/01/2017 11:53am

Lets see what I can do with this tutorial. I have a few idea of improvements.

Virginia Palomares
03/25/2017 3:37pm

How can I purchase this dress pattern?