Picture
Circle skirts are so easy to make and provide such satisfaction when complete! Gorgeous and absolutely perfect for twirling around :) You can layer stretch laces over a lining for the perfect summer skirt or choose a heavier ponte for an elegant fall look! The options are endless.

I hope you enjoy this tutorial and please let me know what you think
in the comments below!

Recommended Fabrics
Look for a medium weight stretch fabric. Because this skirt has no closure, it's really important for the fabric to have some stretch to it so that it can fit over your hips while recovering to fit your waist nicely. Another plus is to make sure your fabric has some spandex in it.
Pay attention to your fabric width and length. Circle skirts take up a lot of fabric and it's necessary to be able to fit your template on your folded fabric nicely. Look for something wider than 45"

For this tutorial I used a Roma de Ponte Knit, in Ivory. It's a rayon, poly spandex blend.

Supplies:
  • 2 Meters of Knit/Stretch Fabric
  • Coordinating Thread
  • Printer
  • Printer Paper
  • FREE Circle Skirt Template (Link Below)

Other than that all you need is your sewing machine, fabric shears, pins, fabric marker and a measuring tape.

Click here to Download the FREE Circle Skirt Waist Template
Updated JULY 5th 2016 ( Resized!)

How to use the Template

Picture
You can use the above diagram to make a paper pattern to reuse OR you can work directly on your fabric. However I wouldn't recommend the second method if you are working with expensive fabric. Test it out beforehand on a cheaper fabric to ensure you are happy with the results. Remember to prewash and press your fabric before cutting.

Step 1.
Print off the FREE Circle Skirt Waist Template. Cut along the line that corresponds with your waist measurement. If you are in between measurements go for the smaller size. Trim off the template edges following the border.

Step 2.
Fold your fabric twice as shown in the picture below.
Step 3.
Place your template in the top corner of your folded fabric, matching edges. Pin in place.
Step 4.
Measure from the edge of your waist edge the length of your desired finished length. I used 19" for this skirt tutorial and that was including 1" for seam and hem allowances.

Continue measuring and marking until you have the entire hem line marked out. Mark with pins or a washable fabric marker. Cut out along those markings and the inner waist curve.

*** Cut a little notch into the fold that runs parallel with the selvage. These notches indicate your skirt center front and center back
Picture
When you unfold your skirt piece, you should have a complete circle with your waist circumference cut out from the center.
Step 5.
Using the following template cut out your waist band. You can also use a large stretch elastic instead of fabric for your waistband.
Step 6.
Fold your waistband piece in half lengthwise and sew the short ends together using a stretch stitch. For this tutorial I used the narrow zig-zag.  Sewing with stretch stitches generally takes more time than just using a regular straight stitch but they are very secure and well worth the wait!
Press your seams open.
Step 7.
Fold your waistband in half widthwise, wrong sides together and press!
Step 8.
Pin your waistband along your waist edge matching the waistband seam with the notch at the center back of your skirt. Make sure that you are placing right sides together. Stitch your waistband to your skirt making sure that everything fits together smoothly.  Sew at 1/2" seam allowance using a stretch stitch.
Step 9.
Trim your seam allowance to a 1/4" and zig zag your raw edges together. Even though knits seams don't really need to be finished off because they don't fray, I find that this helps keep everything neat and tidy.
Step 10.
Zig Zag around your entire hem. This will stabilize your raw edges, making it much easier to hem. Turn your hem up 1/4" and stitch in place. I used a regular straight stitch, using a slightly longer stitch length than usual.  When hemming I always stitch with the right side facing up. I find it gives a much nicer finish. Press.
And you are done!!
How fun and easy are these skirts to make? They work for any age too!
You can use this template for any type and length of circle skirt. It can be used for wovens as well, you just have to keep in mind that you will need to add seam allowances to one of your edges for putting in some type of closure.
Picture
If you make this skirt make sure to upload a picture and tag me in Instagram using the hashtag #thelittleststudio. I would love to see your projects!

Thanks for reading!!

Melanie oxoxo

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:

STRIPED DRESS TUTORIAL
FREE PATTERN AND DRESS TUTORIAL
DIY TURBAND HEADBAND
DIY DESIGNER TOTE BAG

Comments

12/03/2015 11:16pm

Stupendous! What a wonderful find. I can see one of these in my wardrobe soon.

Meanwhile, for an upcoming event I do want to use a border print woven fabric.

Cheers,

Lyric

12/05/2015 12:56pm

Dear Melanie
Your skirt is so elegant, yet simple. I can't wait to make a couple of these.

12/07/2015 10:23am

Thanks so much Ann! I'm so glad you liked it, circle skirts are a staple in my closet. I have them in tons of colours, I find them really flattering on every type of figure.

Thanks again!

paula
11/03/2016 12:19pm

You ARE AWESOME! Thanks so much for the easy to understand template and tutorial!!!!! :o)

Elizabeth
01/20/2016 11:23am

Love it! Thank you for this tutorial. It made it so easy to make a circle skirt for myself. Now I need to figure out how to make one with pockets. I guess I would have to cut it in half along the waist side and then sew it with pockets places inbetween?

01/20/2016 12:58pm

The steps your mentioned are exactly how I would add pockets myself. Also the circle skirt would look fantastic with pockets:) Good luck and thanks for stopping by!

Gemma
02/24/2016 11:40am

Hi, awesome tutorial! I wonder if this would work well with a 2 way stretch material, as opposed to the 4 way I believe you are explaining? I found the perfect fabric but I'm unsure of how it may look? Any ideas?

02/25/2016 7:39pm

Hi Gemma! As long as the fabric has enough stretch to fit over your hips and recover to your waist you should be just fine! If you don't think it has enough stretch you can always add a little zipper to it!

Thanks for reading :)

Vina
02/24/2016 2:59pm

Your post is really helpful.
I want to ask. What is the length and width of the fabric that is needed to make a half-meter-length of finished skirt?

02/25/2016 7:42pm

Hi Vina,

I would always recommend 60" it can be tricky to make it work with anything narrower just because you have to factor your waist template into the width as well. So I would purchase at least a length of 1.5 meters of fabric that is 60" wide! Hope that helps:)

Gayle Hughes
03/28/2017 1:21pm

I don't know meters. What is 1.5 meters in inches or feet? Thanks.

CoCo
03/09/2016 1:06pm

Hello Melanie,

Now this may be a crazy question, just making sure a Full Figure girl can use this pattern. I truly love it.....I've been searching for several days through many different ideas....And I truly love this one.... BIG HUG

03/09/2016 1:54pm

Hi Coco!!

This pattern works fantastic for full figured women! It fits up to a US size 22, If you don't see your waist measurement included on the template then just let me know and I can add it to the template and send it to you :)

CoCo
03/10/2016 12:17pm

Thanks soooooo much Melanie. Can't wait to get some material and make my first one. I will make sure I post it so you can see how I did. Also, I plan to stretch out and make the dress as well.... You ROCK!!! :)

CoCo
03/10/2016 12:17pm

CoCo
03/10/2016 12:18pm

CoCo
03/10/2016 12:18pm

Thanks so much Melanie. Can't wait to get some material and make my first one. I will make sure I post it so you can see how I did. Also, I plan to stretch out and make the dress as well.... You ROCK!!!

CoCo
03/10/2016 12:19pm

Thanks sooooo much Melanie. I will post a pic once I make one and also I plan to try the dress as well. LOVEZZZZZ IT

CoCo
03/10/2016 4:24pm

If the fabric is 44"-45" would it still work if I purchase extra fabric?

03/10/2016 5:23pm

Yes, it might limit the length options but you could also cut the skirt out a quarter at a time. So unfold your fabric so that you are using the full 45" width (Single Layer of Fabric) per quarter. You will have a seam in the front, back and sides of the skirt but I actually really like how it looks!
Hope that makes sense!

Sarah
03/14/2016 6:16am

This is my first time sewing a piece of clothing. I normally make plushies baby stuff and embroidery. I measured my waist as 40inchs, so I did exactly what the instructions said and the skirt is way too big for me! At least 10 inches! How do I fixt this? What did I do horribly wrong?

03/14/2016 9:27am

Hi Sarah!

Don't worry its a easy fix! If you look at post I've linked below you can see I did the exact same thing and I show how I fixed the situation! Hope it helps! Scroll down to the SKIRT section.

Patricia
03/21/2016 3:26am

This is such a wonderful and helpful tool. Is there a conversion for the use of a woven fabric or can this be used and just add a zipper or would other allowances need to be made. I hope I'm making sense :)

Laura
11/16/2016 12:55pm

I'm interested in the answer to this question too. I want to make the dress and am planning to add bust darts and a zipper, but wonder if it will work well?

Sarah
12/28/2016 8:13pm

I just got done making this with a big cotton top sheet from a twin sized bed--so it was totally a woven, not much stretch to it at all. All I did differently was that I inserted a zipper at the waist back--my zipper was a 9", but I have a 40" waist and 52" hips, so I wanted that puppy to fit over them well, yet be snug on my waist. I did about 1 1/2 inches of that zipper into the waistband piece, the rest into the body of the skirt (if that makes sense?). I'm pleased to say that it fits like a dream!

Lor The
03/31/2016 11:41am

LOVE having a waist tutorial for a circle skirt. It will work for my granddaughters, daughters, and me! Pure genius

Emma
04/11/2016 10:53pm

Great tutorial, very easy to follow. I made one today and it tuned out fantastic! Only issue I ran into was with sizing the waist correctly. I measured my waist very carefully, measured 33", so I cut the template to 32" but it ended up being 6-8 inches too big for me, so I had to cut off the excess and stitch it up to resize it

Jan
05/27/2016 5:48pm

I had the same issue. Cut out a skirt at 28", and it was a generous size on someone with 32". My friend had the same issue. Anything we are doing wrong?

06/01/2016 8:40am

Hi Ladies!

The math is correct on this template for the waist sizes, unfortunately you are right that some fabrics stretch out much further than your desired waist size. The solution is to use a smaller waist measurements on the template or if you have already cut out the skirt, you will have to cut the sides down and resew exactly like you did! It's hard to say how fabrics will react :) Thanks for your comment though and good luck with your next project!

Julia
06/16/2016 11:10am

Of course I only read the comments AFTER I had already cut my fabric. I measured my waist at 33" & cut the template at 32". It ended up several inches too wide.
Can you guys explain to me how you corrected the size?

Nurin
04/12/2016 2:08am

I cant download that free circle skirt waist. Why?

Dee
04/16/2016 8:58pm

Hi Melanie. The skirt looks very cute and I'm eager to try it! From the tutorial ( step 4), I'm not understanding where to cut the notch for center front. Would that be in the vicinity of your left elbow in the picture?

04/17/2016 5:35pm

Hi

I have been looking for something similar to make a petticoat. Would the template be suitable for woven fabrics? I will be adding in elastic in the waist instead of a waistband..

Thanks

05/02/2016 6:42pm

Hi Stephanie,

You could use this template just make sure to use your hip measurement instead of your waist measurement so that you can get it on!

Roxy
10/13/2016 9:05pm

So super glad she asked because this what I plan to do. I'm probably going to need a size or four larger than a 22 waist, since I'll be doing hips. I have plenty of cheap fabric to practice with!
Thanks for the tutorial and template!

Shari
04/21/2016 5:35am

I don't see my waist size how can I get that size added? You said its 22 size for USA?

JaneEllen
05/02/2016 6:24pm

Am going to give this skirt pattern/template a shot. Been quite a while since I sewed for myself. Started out as a kid making gathered skirts, (50's) along with tops, and shorts, capris at bout 10 yrs of age and after. My Mom was sewer and an aunt so had good tutors available.
When I had kids (girl first, then 2 boys and last one girl) made lots of things for her. Have always enjoyed sewing, do lot of curtains, table runners, pillow covers, so lets hope can get old brain working into sewing mode again. Sure glad I clicked on this entry.
Happy creative week
Like to wear skirts in summer, find it cooler.

05/02/2016 6:49pm

Hi there!

Thanks for your kind comment! I love wearing skirts myself, very comfortable. Just remember to size down with this skirt pattern since some knit fabrics stretch more then others.

Good luck sewing!

Kel
05/05/2016 9:31pm

A friend and I want to make this in our high school sewing class.. We finally found the directions! We think this circle skirt is super cute and we cannot wait to make it. :)

Traci
05/16/2016 7:07am

Hi,
Do you think it would be easy enough and possible to make this skirt with a lower skirt at the back like a high low skirt I guess and if so, how would I be able to go about it do you think? Thanks in advance. 🙂🙂

05/16/2016 9:58pm

Hi Traci!

Absolutely! Check out this link which takes you to Pinterest. It has a little diagram on the different skirt styles you can achieve with a circle skirt template. Good Luck!!

Tanisha
05/27/2016 9:25am

I love your full circle skirt however, I have several African ancara fabrics. Not much, if any, stretch. Do you have a similar pattern for non stretch fabrics?

06/01/2016 8:34am

Hi Tanisha!

This template can be used for non stretchy fabrics but you will need to add a zipper to get in and out of it! There are a few tutorials on Youtube that show you how to do this!

Laura
06/05/2016 8:31am

Hello, I am wondering what this pretty fabric is you used to make your skirt? Thank you

Laura
06/05/2016 8:32am

Sorry, I missed it Ponte...thank you for this tutorial

Minetta
06/12/2016 10:31am

Hi this is what I was looking for. Thank you for your great post. Have you tried it with woven fabrics and what should you do different?

Joan Grove
06/22/2016 8:41pm

Hi! love the look of this skirt! I have large hips and a small waist. Would there be any secret for larger hips? Has anyone made any kind of a slit for a zipper ?

07/20/2016 2:24pm

I love this tutorial! My only question is if you used a special presser foot for working with knits (like a walking foot, I think?).

I got my machine as a hand-me-down that only came with one foot so I am nervous to try working with knits. I don't want to invest in presser feet until I upgrade my machine to something more long term.

Thanks!

07/26/2016 8:28pm

Hi Kate! No you shouldn't need to switch pressor feet. I don't usually use a walking foot. You may have to switch your needle to one that works with knits, only if you find your machine is having trouble with the stretchy fabrics. I have a blog post here that goes a little more in depth about sewing knits:

Good luck!!

Florence Gonzales
08/03/2016 3:00pm

Hi!
I love this skirt! I have made three of them for my Grandaughter for school! She absolutely loves

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_3863.jpeg

Marta
08/23/2016 8:11am

Hi! I've just made this skirt, or almost I should say. I zig zaged around the hem but when I`m trying to hem it, I can`t get a straight line, it`s really wavy and doesn`t look nice at all. My fabric is really stretchy and it goes all over the place. Any tips?

08/23/2016 8:53am

Hi Marta! Oh I've been there! My suggestion would to be to leave it un-hemmed. It won't fray, and as long as it isn't rolling you should be fine! Maybe use a rotary cutter, you can use scissors too but it's harder to get a smooth cut line. Another option is to sew with tissue paper over your seam and after you're done carefully remove it. It adds a little stability to your fabric. But honestly I would go for the leaving it raw option

Quinlan
08/27/2016 4:27pm

How would I make this skirt using several different panels of fabric? Like, starting out smaller from the top, and then going out bigger toward the bottom.

09/02/2016 9:45am

Hi there! I would recommend using this template to create a paper skirt and then draw where you want your panels to go. Cut along your new lines and make sure to add a little extra around for seam allowance. Use your new paper pattern to cut out your fabric!

Quinlan
09/02/2016 11:45am

Thatnks! :D

08/30/2016 4:31am

Hello !
Sorry for my English... I'm French and I really liked your skirt and the tutorial was so clear ! I tried to sew one for my little girl but she chose satin instead of stretch fabric... so I had to adjust the tutorial.
You can have a look on my blog :
http://filandfeelings.cana lblog.com/
Thanks for your blog

09/02/2016 9:41am

Wow thanks for sharing! So beautiful, and I love how you finished the hem :) Looks beautiful

Adelia
09/18/2016 1:01pm

Will this work in lightweight fabrics non stretch? Looks really easy.

09/20/2016 8:11pm

Hi Adelia,

If you are using a non stretch you would have to make modifications to the pattern and add a zipper. Otherwise you won't be able to get the garment on or off

Marissa
09/20/2016 5:36pm

I've purchased a stretch knit in off white and a lace in the same color that I would like to overlay on top of the solid stretch knit. I'm really new to sewing and this doesn't seem all that complicated but I'm just wondering how I would get the lace as an overlay. I'm thinking cut it the same as the skirt, then pin them together when sewing on the waistband so that basically the waistband will hold the two fabrics together. Does that sound about right? Thanks :)

09/20/2016 8:09pm

Hi Marissa!

Yes you have it exactly right. I would recommend pinning your two layers together and maybe running a quick basting stitch around your waist. That way when your attaching your waistband you don't have to worry about catching all the layers as much!

Good luck :)

Marissa
09/21/2016 12:36am

I just finished and it came out beautiful!! Its a little too big, but nothing I can't fix tomorrow :) This whole process was incredibly easy and I love my new skirt! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Jennifer White
10/09/2016 12:30pm

I down loaded the skirt pattern but I can't seem to find the waist band.

daine
10/18/2016 4:17pm

Hi Melanie just love this skirt thank you so much for putting this up im very new to sewing and would love to made my teen a hi low skirt could it be done using your template for the waist band i have 4 meters of fabric would that be ok to use it has a bit of a stretch to it. Thank you for all your help.

11/25/2016 8:48am

wow that dress is soo cute and it well suits for my child..

12/04/2016 4:44pm

So glad I found your tutorial for the circle skirt. Your instructions were very simple I made one will be making more. Thanks

Jackie Scott
12/08/2016 10:06pm

amazing tutorial. could you make a tutorial on how to add pockets on a circle skirt?

CatLover2314
12/24/2016 5:48pm

OMG Yes please!

Sarah
12/28/2016 8:19pm

Thank you so much for this tutorial. It was a breeze to follow and I was very simple to modify for a woven fabric. I plan to make many more, knits and wovens! Circle Skirts are so fun!

Carole
12/31/2016 3:17am

OH WOW just what I needed now some for my little granddaughter lots for granny, and the perfect template to "mash up, some of my sewing patterns Thank you so much, you are a star!!

Norley
01/26/2017 8:07am

Pretty nice will try my hands on it. Thanks

Esther
02/17/2017 5:25am

Absolutely stunning!! I'll be trying it out this weekend, please what kind of machine do you use?